Introducing the Verandah twenty-nine production team
Charlotte Beveridge, Ash Leonard, Sylvia McQueen, Dionne Seah, Lili O’Sullivan, Tash Tran and Enhui Yu.
Hey guess what!
Today we found out that Verandah twenty-eight has been selected as a finalist in the Graphic Arts Services Australia Printovation Awards for innovative design. And while we may not win a prize we are super excited to even be chosen as a finalist!
Thank you to everyone involved!
Want to be a part of the twenty-ninth edition of Verandah? Then check out the 2014 position descriptions below!
Deakin University’s Verandah Literary and Art journal is looking for two designers to work on the twenty-ninth edition. This is a great opportunity to gain experience with print and web design, as well as the publishing and professional writing industry, it also just looks great in a folio.
The positions are open to third year design students who will be studying at Deakin in 2014.
But what does being a Verandah designer involve?
- Teamwork. (You will be working on a production team with several editors, team work is pretty essential on this project.)
- Time management skills and ability to work to a deadline. (You will be working with printers, organising quotes and ordering material so time management and being able to work to a deadline is also pretty important).
- A pretty decent understanding of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, Indesign and Dreamweaver. (You will be responsible for the branding of the journal and applying it to various forms of media including bookmarks, posters, website, social media etc).
- The year long project will culminate in the production of a book so you will need to have some experience in producing content from Mac to print design, layouts, typography and other skills for book/magazine design which are part of units you have probably already taken!
To apply just email your application with ‘Verandah designer’ in the subject title outlining your skills/experience/enthusiasm and units you have taken along with your resume and contact details to Sarah at: email@example.com.
Verandah is currently recruiting a new production team for its 29th edition. Consisting of editors and designers, the team is responsible for all aspects of the journal in an approximately twelve-month period between conceptualisation and book launch in August. As an editor, your most important role will be the solicitation, assessment, selection and editing of submissions to the journal, with several other crucial roles to be shared or assigned to individuals within this editing team. These include, but are not limited to
· Fundraising/ securing sponsors
· Advertising & promotions
· Social media administration
· Event management
· Financial management
A detailed position description can be found here.
Applicants should be scheduled to commence their third year of Deakin’s Professional & Creative Writing major in 2014. Keen editing skills, an interest in publishing and availability to commit to weekly meetings at Burwood are essential. Completion of ALW205 Editing and The Author will be highly regarded.
Applications are to consist of your CV, academic transcript (an exported .pdf of your results on D2L will suffice) and a cover letter addressing the selection criteria. Please include which of the specialised roles you would be confident to take on, and any experience or training relevant to these. Applications are to be made by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading “Application for Editing Role”. Inquiries can be made to this address as well.
Applications close midnight Sunday 6 October (editor applications only).
Sarah Allen, Leizl Bermejo, Hayley Elliott-Ryan, Lauren Hawkins, Kyah Horrocks and Jonathon Lawrence.