Verandah prints polished and previously unpublished work. Please refer to our ‘Buy the Book’ page for back issues to see the calibre of writing and art which the Verandah publication team asks for. Due to the volume of submissions that we receive, we are unfortunately unable to give individual feedback.
As a not-for-profit organisation, some submissions fees are necessary to sustain our work. Single submissions must be accompanied by a $5 submission fee. For two or three submissions, the fee is $10. Submissions by current Deakin students are free (please provide your current student ID number when submitting). Please note that we will only accept a maximum of three submissions from each individual. Submissions can be a mixture of prose, poetry or art, or three of the same.
Each year Verandah offers a number of prizes, provided by our sponsors, for outstanding submissions. All successful contributors will receive a copy of Verandah 34 as token payment.
We will be accepting both writing and art submissions!
Fiction and Nonfiction: There is a maximum of 2,500 words for all fiction and nonfiction submissions. Micro or flash fiction (between 150-1000 words) will also be accepted alongside longer short stories (between 1000-2500 words). Stories over 2,500 words will need to be proportionally brilliant to hold out two shorter stories.
Poems: Poems/suites of poems need to be fewer than 100 lines, so no epics please!
Scripts: 5–7 minutes. That’s 5–7 pages of properly formatted Courier New, not 5–7 minutes of single-spaced monologue.
All literary submissions must follow this checklist:
- Short stories and poems must use Times New Roman font
- Scripts must use Courier New font
- All must use 12-point font size
- Double spacing (exceptions with scripts and concrete poetry)
- Pages must be numbered
- Our house style is Australian Standard: singular quotations and Australian spelling
- Include a header with the title of your work
- Your name should not appear anywhere on your work
- Submit work via email as a word document
- Submit via email using the subject line- Submissions 2019
Art and Design Submissions
Artwork and Photography: One full page limit
Comics: Two full page limit
- We welcome both full colour and black and white images
- Verandah will be B5 format – or 190mm ( W ) x 255mm ( H )
- Please be aware that some very minor cropping may occur
- All submissions should be PDF’s or .jpg’s with a resolution of 300dpi
- Submit via email using the subject line – Art Submissions 2019
You can attach your submission/s to an email to email@example.com. As of 2016 we are no longer accepting hard copy submissions by mail and cannot consider them for publication. Submissions fees can be paid via the link below, though if you are a current Deakin student, you must provide your current student number so that you are not charged for your submissions.
Please name your electronic file submission as ‘Your name – Title of work’ and if you are submitting more than one piece attach each of them as separate documents. Attach a separate cover letter, which should include your name, address, email address, phone number, and a fifty word, third-person bio.
For more clarification about submitting, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2018 Submissions are closed.
2019 Submissions will open in the new year!
Please allow 48 hours for your order and payment to be processed.
1 Submission ($5)
2-3 Submissions ($10)